I have spent hour upon hours looking at and researching programs. These programs include teaching English abroad, volunteering in the U.S., working with kids, traveling the world or helping out your neighbor.
I thought it’d be helpful to create a running tally of all the programs I have spent time looking at. I might’ve simply heard about it and still know nothing about it, or I might have gone as far as applying for the program. Maybe something will spark your interest.
- MU has a month-long program to teach English in South Korea. Laura Lind knew someone that had done the program, and I called her. She was super nice and easy to talk to. She spoke so highly of the program. As a participant, you do not owe any money. They even pay for your flight! MU is a good place to look for more information on international programs, including the TaLK program and another Korean program. Yes, I said something good about Mizzou. I hope I’ll live to see another day.
- KU has information about internships and jobs abroad.
- Another way to teach English in S. Korea is with Canadian Connection. This seems like a very good organization, and you don’t have to be Canadian!
- The Japan Exchange and Teaching Program, known as the JET program, seems to be a reputable program to teach English in Japan through the Japanese government.
- Fellow travel buddy and Londoner, Elizabeth Barnes, told me about Volunteer Service Overseas.
- You can volunteer abroad with Cross-Cultural Solutions.
- Get paid to learn another language through National Securities Education Program (NSEP) or through the Critical Language Program.
What does someone in international studies do with their major? Good Question! Here is an extensive list of internships, links and helpful information for those who study international studies or foreign languages.
Here I am in a bus spot parking lot in downtown Kansas City with Elizabeth Werner, Jill Nowak and Monica Powers. (I’m on the far right). We have our packs packed for Peru. First, we took a long bus ride to Chicago to catch our flight from Chicago to Peru.